During this episode of the HyperFast Agent Podcast, host Dan Lesniak speaks with Nate Smoyer, host of the Tech Nest podcast and Director of Marketing at Avail. Nate shares how he found his way to property tech through his podcast, and how learning to focus forever changed how he approaches business and life.
- Nate Smoyer made his way into property tech through his podcast, Tech Nest.
- There are between 10-12 million landlords in the U.S. About 8 million self-manage. The majority of rental properties are between 1-4 units. By giving these landlords the right systems and tools, the rental experience is improved.
- Nate puts a whole month of rent towards improvements to his properties to attract great tenants.
- When he makes improvements, he hires other professionals to take care of these tasks.
- Nate describes his long journey to entering the real estate market and working with multiple agents to close his first deal before entering property technology.
- He was an agent for seven months. He shares what he learned about building a business during this time.
- Time blocking was the most valuable thing he learned.
- Understanding focus and applying that to everything else is a gamechanger.
- They discuss making a dream list of 100 clients.
- When Nate started his own business he invested in education and applied lessons he learned about focus and time blocking.
- Nate shares about the importance of investing in education.
- You need a system. If you don’t have one, buy one.
- He turned the dream list into a prospect list for his podcast.
- Nate used his podcast to build relationships and filter out potential clients.
- He describes reaching out to prospects to be featured on his podcast. He'd get the pre-interview phone call, emails back and forth, the phone call and the pre and post-show discussion. Then after the show he could follow up with a deliverable all before he'd ever bring up the topic of working together.
- Nate describes the three exit strategies he had in mind for his agency.
- Podcast hosts have the opportunity to learn from their guests.
- During COVID-19, Avail has seen an increase in late payments, partial payments, and non-payments.
- They have been focusing on marketing efforts since leaving the office in March.
- Nate provides his answers to the HyperFast Round.
3 Key Points:
1. Many agents don’t have a focus. Find your focus and leverage time blocking.
2. Smart entrepreneurs should think about possible exit strategies to look out for.
3. Podcasting provides many opportunities to build connections with people in your industry.
- “Investing in education is not just a book. It's not just a course. It's taking the heart of what it says to do and doing exactly what it says.” – Nate Smoyer
- “If you're not willing to give up your money for your time, you're not serious.” – Nate Smoyer
- “I basically turned the podcast into my sales funnel.” – Nate Smoyer
- “It's unfair how much a podcast host actually gets to learn.” – Nate Smoyer
- “People are finding a way to make things happen and we can still solve problems.” – Nate Smoyer
The Ultimate Sales Machine (book)